Our aquatics department, complete with certified swim instructors and American Red Cross Certified lifeguards, is dedicated to providing top-quality classes and training. In addition to being Infant Swim of America certified, our instructors are able to teach swim lessons to all ages and abilities.
Many aquatics fitness classes are available for you to drop-in, while others, such as swimming lessons require advance registration. Stop by The Kroc Center for a complete schedule of drop-in activities, or view the current class schedule.
Join our Kroc Aquatics Facebook group to keep up-to-date on all things aquatics at The Kroc Center!
Swim Lessons for All Ages & Abilities
HOW TO REGISTER YOUR CHILD FOR SWIM LESSONS
• Evaluate your child’s swim ability and choose a class level, date, and time from the listing below.
• On lesson day, check-in to your class at the Welcome Desk, and then make your way to the pool (downstairs). Don't forget to bring a towel.
• At the end of the set of lessons, your instructor will recommend the appropriate class level for the next set of lessons. Class levels are frequently repeated to allow students to master skills and feel successful before moving on to the next level.
Instructors teach infant swim recovery techniques to help reduce and help prevent accidental drowning.
• One participant
• Six 15 minute lessons
SCHOOL AGE-ADULT (4 Years- Adult)
Private or semi-private swim lessons are available for participants of any ability, for water therapy and learning.
• Up to two participants
• Eight 30 minute lessons
Participants are introduced to self rescue skills, swim strokes,
and water safety techniques.
Introduces beginning swimmers to the water in a fun setting. Children learn floating and water safety through play and creative repetition and take instruction from an instructor. No swim experience required.
• Suitable for kids who can attend class independently (parents are not present in this class).
• Goggles optional
Continue to work on balance in the water through stroke development and water safety skills, working to become an independent swimmer.
Suitable for kids who can
• swim with their face in the water;
• float on front and back with no assistance.
• Goggles optional
American Red Cross
The American Red Cross lifeguard training and certification are imperative to the process of getting hired on as an official Red Cross lifeguard. Our detailed training includes both testing of hands-on skills as well as comprehension on written tests. The certification, which includes first aid, CPR, and AED training, is valid for two years upon completion and is accepted nationwide. The American Red Cross is the most respected source for training and certification of this kind.
• Participants must be 15 years old by the end of the certification class.
• Participants MUST complete the pre-course swimming skills test prior to registration of the American Red Cross Certification Course.
(We Help Individuals Strive Toward Lifeguard Employment) at The Kroc Center
provides a discount for uncertified
individuals interested in becoming
a lifeguard at The Kroc Center.
Contact the aquatics specialist for more info at 217-231-5676 or email email@example.com.
Lifeguard Pre-Course Swim Test
Lifeguard candidates must successfully complete the pre-course swim skill test prior to registering for the American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification Course.
Call our aquatics specialist at 217-231-5676 to schedule your testing day/time.
PRE-COURSE SKILL TEST
• Swim 300 yards continuous swim, demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
• Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
• Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed. Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to retrieve a 10-pound object. Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance under water. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
Contact Jacob Benz at firstname.lastname@example.org to register
Lifeguard instructor course trains instructor candidates to teach Red Cross lifeguard lifeguarding, shallow water lifeguarding, aquatics attraction lifeguarding, waterfront skills, waterpark skills, first aid, CPR/AED for professional rescuers, administering emergency oxygen and bloodborne pathogens. This course prepares instructor candidates to use course and presentation materials, conduct training sessions and evaluate the progress of candidates in a professional-level course.
GROUP SWIM LESSON SCHEDULE
Click on class to view a description & register.
Each day, dozens of classes are offered for all ages, interests and abilities. Find the right class for you today! LEARN MORE ABOUT KROC CLASSES
THE SALVATION ARMY RAY & JOAN
KROC CORPS COMMUNITY CENTER
The Program Guide is the place to look for a variety of one-day and weekly classes. All classes are open to the public.
Look inside for:
• Painting Classes
• Swim Lessons
• School's Out Camps
• Personal Training
• Martial Arts
• Group Fitness Classes
View the Class Schedule for easy-to-read schedules of all group exercise classes–both on land, and in water!
All drop-in fitness and aquatic classes are FREE to Gold Members.